Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tick Tock

Peruse the many online profiles on sites like Friendster or myspace or even fridae and you will find reading choosen as a hobby quite often. I wonder however, how many amongst these people actually do have time to read in this age where everything moves at warp speed and deadline's literally mean its time to die! With competition soaring high and job vacancies scarce, so much to do and so little time, everybody is swamped with work now that we might as well scrap the word hobby from the dictionary. I mean, who the hell has time for these sort of things anymore?

I have a book (Angels and Demons by Dan Brown) which i bought 2 months ago during my holiday and its still lying on the shelf in the same plastic bag it came with and i honestly have not had the time to even glance at it. I bet the receipt is still there as well! In my opinion, we have pushed ourselves to the point bordering on insanity. In our quest to improve life, our drive to succeed is now driving us instead. Does that make sense?

I've always wondered that if someone were to step back in time and observe people from before, will we be able to say that 'Yes, the people of today are really more happy then those living from the past.'? If the answer is no, what the hell are we doing?!?!?! Honestly, the only time i had to do my reading was while i was in uk, and that was only because i skipped classes too blardy often...okok it was more like i nvr went for classes. Believe me, the price to pay was high!

The joy of reading for me is that i get to go to another place, though not necessarily a better one, but one that allows me to forget the worries i face currently. One may call it a form of escapism i guess. But if you dont already know this, life's a bitch. Between juggling between classes, labs, assignments, family, friends and boyfriend, there seem to be no time for reading! Thats y i stopped filling in the hobbies part on these kindda things. Doesnt matter if i have any, its not like i have the time to actually do it.

Ok so in the end, this whole post is just about me ranting of my lack of time. Maybe its just poor time management on my part, and i'm pretty sure the bf will comment on this...hmphh, but at the end of the day, i just wanna finish my book! Not too sure how long i can hold off anymore before buying another one and i'll hate to spend more money on books before i can even finish reading the previous one. Hopefully the book's good tho because it was recommended by a friend. I didnt find Da Vinci Code that interesting but Deception Point was alright.

If only i could turn back time

I'm with you on that one Aqua!


ps : what happened to u guys btw...sigh. I loved cartoon heros!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks baby...but no thanks....i am not going to comment on this...as I know i am so blardy pain in the ass to control your life...which i don;t want to...haha...

Everyone needs their own space...so when u need one..jz let me know,ok? I wouldn't mind that at all...I do need my space too...

I know is difficult to tell me...but i have to live with it..haha...

perhaps...this is the scenario:-

k: baby, sorry, but i think i want a little of space tonight
to do some readings...

al:ok..no prob(damn it!! at heart)

k: I hope you dont mind

al: of course not...dun be silly! (grrrrr.....)

LOL.....

but honestly, things get better after that...right???

haha....

Anonymous said...

hahahahah
u guys are so cute :P esp ad :P
anwyayz, kev, it's prob ur lifestyle la, i still have time to read. actually i recently finished another novel. read during my breaks while i was working, for 2 days.
-cy

Anonymous said...

I read while commuting to work and at the bookstore during weekend. Hope you will not give up that easily on this life enriching hobby. You can do it! (dang..sounds like some cheesy Nike ad) Cheers :)

P.S. Aqua was disbanded back in 2001. Apparently the band members had had a diminutive successful solo career